…is to bring sustainability into all aspects of Swiss higher education institutions and support them to become sustainability role models in the education sector.
What we do
- We bring sustainability topics into all aspects of higher education institutions and support them to be role models in research, teaching, governance and operation while embodying sustainability meaningfully as public institutions.
- We empower young adults to co-organize a series of events related to sustainability (i.e. a Sustainability Week) at all Swiss higher education institutions to have a positive impact on our environment and society through institutional change and community-building.
- We raise awareness by reaching out, informing and inspiring as many students, higher education staff and the broader public as possible.
- We empower everyone to implement concrete actions to transform the higher education sector and society.
We enable and facilitate collaboration through connecting like-minded students, HEI members and the public to reach higher impact.
Our understanding of sustainability
We stand for and identify with the priority model of sustainability (also known as concentric model of sustainability and strong sustainability). This model is consistent with the theory of the planetary boundaries. A holistic understanding of sustainability integrates:
- Differentiation of the global, national, regional and local level
- Intergenerational understanding and time-framing
- Multilayer approach: action on the individual, societal and political level
At the Sustainability Week Switzerland,
- we value the environment and live sustainably ourselves
- we are driven by passion, fun and intrinsic motivation
- we are transparent and live an attitude of honesty
- we respect, support & trust each other
- we embrace diversity and encourage everyone to co-create with us
- we take responsibility for constantly improving ourselves
- we believe in challenging the status quo and prioritise on increasing impact
- we align our work with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- we cooperate with organizations that support our vision, mission and values
- we connect like-minded people and build a strong community
- we enable and support an atmosphere for personal development
we strive for excellence and celebrate our successes!