Read our Impact Report 2017–2020
to see what we've achieved!
What we want
Our vision is to bring sustainability into all aspects of Swiss higher education institutions and support them to become sustainability role models for our society.
What we do
We incubate new Sustainability Weeks all across Switzerland and each of them…
… organizes a series of events on sustainability
… is actively engaged in their higher education politics
… works with local cafeterias towards more sustainable consumption
- We bring sustainability topics into all aspects of higher education institutions and support them to be role models in research, teaching, governance and operation while embodying sustainability meaningfully as public institutions.
- We empower young adults to co-organize a series of events related to sustainability (i.e. a Sustainability Week) at all Swiss higher education institutions to have a positive impact on our environment and society through institutional change and community-building.
- We raise awareness by reaching out, informing and inspiring as many students, higher education staff and the broader public as possible.
- We empower everyone to implement concrete actions to transform the higher education sector and society.
- We enable and facilitate collaboration through connecting like-minded students, HEI members and the public to reach higher impact.
We stand for and identify with the priority model of sustainability (also known as concentric model of sustainability and strong sustainability). This model is consistent with the theory of the planetary boundaries. A holistic understanding of sustainability integrates: (i) differentiation of the global, national, regional and local level; (ii) intergenerational understanding and time-framing and (iii) a multilayer approach with action on the individual, societal and political level.
At the Sustainability Week Switzerland,
- we value the environment and live sustainably ourselves
- we are driven by passion, fun and intrinsic motivation
- we are transparent and live an attitude of honesty
- we respect, support & trust each other
- we embrace diversity and encourage everyone to co-create with us
- we take responsibility for constantly improving ourselves
- we believe in challenging the status quo and prioritise on increasing impact
- we align our work with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- we cooperate with organizations that support our vision, mission and values
- we connect like-minded people and build a strong community
- we enable and support an atmosphere for personal development
- we strive for excellence and celebrate our successes!
We embody our values in our logo: a visual representation of the priority model of sustainability, also referred to as strong sustainability. The three colors symbolize the environment, the society and the economy. We consider sustainability to be essential in all three areas, but they build up on each other. A healthy environment forms the basis for a prosperous society, within which a sustainable economy can thrive. The priority model is an alternative to the the widely used three-pillar model, in which sustainability is only represented by the small part where the three areas overlap (see visual model). In contrast to the three-pillar model, the priority model does not allow for an overpowering economy but it rather underlines the interaction between all three areas.